Following a period of study and reflection our congregation became an affirming congregation, Sunday, June 8, 2008. Our affirming statement is as follows:
We declare that Symons Valley United Church is an Open and Affirming congregation
We believe that all people are sacred in the eyes of God, welcome at God’s table, and entitled to full and equal participation in the life of the church.
We recognize that congregations have historically condemned and excluded some persons and groups of persons through active effort or complicit silence.
In response to our understanding of Christ’s invitation to the table, we declare that we will continue our struggle to be open and affirming of all, regardless of sexual orientation, family composition, age, ethnic, cultural or spiritual background, gender identity, physical or mental capabilities, and we will work to show our understanding of the Realm of God as a place of diversity and justice by our actions and our witness to the world.
THE AFFIRM COMMITTEE PURPOSE
To support the congregation in carrying out the Symons Valley United Church’s Mission and Affirm Statements of accepting all people in an intentional way.
1. To maintain and develop a library of background material on Affirm United’s program, educational videos, and publications to groups and individual within the church.
2. To engage in advocacy and awareness training within the congregation regarding issues relative to being an Affirming Congregation.
3. Establish support groups and networks within the congregation for GLBT persons.
4. To network, support and share with other congregations working on inclusivity issues
5. Maintain a display table of resources available through the committee.
6. To move towered a full inclusion of other marginalized individuals and groups.